'It's not about giving people a hand out but a hand up'
Social Enterprise // Socialise. Donate. Make. Shop.
THE RUFF & RUBYROOMS social enterprise is the base for our charity team right in the heart of the city in Intu Potteries, as well as our wider engagement services & programs being WORKSHOPS & ROADSHOWS in schools & at events, LIFE COACHING (Lil’ Gems (girls) & Ruff Diamonds (lads), random VIP (VALUED INDIVIDUAL PERSON) LIFE LIFT EXPERIENCES, random acts of kindness).
The venue reflects our work as an urban youth charity is a retail social enterprise & community venue.
It is an innovative & iconic COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT contemporary project in a primary location next to Debenhams & Scotts, exuding a ‘WOW’ factor which would usually be identified within the urban retail areas of cities such as Birmingham, Manchester or London.
This VENUE is open 5 days a week (Tue-Sat 10am-5pm) for the general public to access for shopping, socialising, donating, & relaxing.
Creative media pieces are played in store & urban art adorns the walls presenting positive & inspirational messages along with creative & innovative themed window displays.
WHAT WE FEATURE:
- Community café & sofa areas (brew & cake only £1.50!)
- 0-7s’ Stay & Play Imagination Zone KIDOVATION (£3.00 per child, £1.00 for under 1y)
- ‘PUSH’ bikes sale floor & bike maintenance/customisation (upcycled bikes & skateboards)
- Youth Area featuring sofas, games, Table Tennis & Pool tables
- A ‘Skill up’ textile open workbench /workshops (use of sewing machines for just £2.50 p/h!)
- Free to play piano and cajon
- Hair / nail beauty treatments (in collaboration w. Stoke College, student practitioners)
- Creative arts & live performance staging area
- Effervescence furniture & decorations
- ‘RACHEL’ pre-loved range by Academy Award Winner Rachel Shenton
- #SECONDHANDFIRST ‘PRE-LOVED’ clothing & footwear (male / female /children & babies)
- ‘POLLY CLOTHING’ by George Hodson
- ETHICAL CLOTHING: ‘Truth not Trash’.
- HANDMADE CUSTOM CHILDREN’S APPAREL: Purple Monito
- SLOGAN BRANDS : ‘Heaven Meets Earth’ ‘Decadent Domain’ & ‘Anna Seven London’.
- ‘PIMP MY STRIDE’ (individual customization of footwear / trainers)
- RUFF & RUBY ‘POSITIVITEE’ charity ‘tees’ & customized pieces (in collab w. SUMO)
OUR OWN LABEL ‘POSITIVITEE’ RECOGNISES POSITIVE STORIES OF CHANGE & IS FEATURED ON CLOTHING LABELS AS YOUNG PEOPLE PROGRESS THROUGH OUR PROGRAMS & INDIVIDUAL JOURNEYS WHERE THEY BECOME STRONGER.
YOU CAN DONATE CLOTHING, FOOTWEAR, ACCESSORIES AND BIKES DIRECTLY HERE IN STORE (bring your car to the loading bay entrance on the left just under the multi storey car park walkway @ INTU POTTERIES & or pull in on the left by the side entrance to the centre & call the store for a member of staff to come & collect!- 01782 280413.
The venue delivers an engaging VOLUNTEERING & WORK READINESS program fostering employability & work readiness skills) that anyone aged 13 plus can apply for with no maximum age! -we have volunteers 13-65!
‘Team work makes the dream work’
We have diverse people groups access this engagement opportunity from all walks of life & any age of person needing ‘real life’ work experience placements, NEET young people, those wanting a ‘Traineeship’ opportunity, ‘Back to Work’ placements (Job Centre), people who want to ‘give back’, retired people & those needing ‘diversionary activities’ & or/ to build up personal development as part of their lifestyle MOT!.
Volunteers or ‘VOLLIES’ as we like to call them are the CORE of what we do within the enterprise & are VALUED members of the team. From their time here they gain significant knowledge & experience of ‘real life’ work ethics, employability skills, teamwork, customer service, specific skill sets & qualifications (traineeships) alongside a participation certificate, charity reference & CV resource.
The volunteering programme aims to be an ICONIC resource for young people / young adults & the wider community that infuses self worth, raises aspirations & provides purpose, significance, direction, value & a ‘sense of belonging’. We have also found that engaging in the social enterprise has brought about visible transformation in people’s lives, who have then progressed on to employment & training.
Nb. We do take people with a criminal background (not including offenses against children & young people due to the nature of the charity) & have ROBUST safeguarding procedures in place being: full CCTV, enhanced DBS checks & risk assessments PRIOR to anyone being accepted on the program within the venue alongside trained safeguarding officers & procedures that manage risk & create a ‘safer’ environment in a public space.
For more information on volunteering please email our volunteer coordinator LIZZIE FRY on email@example.com or see the ‘get involved’ page. If you would like to apply to become a volunteer please download the form below, completed forms can be emailed to Lizzie, or posted/brought into the store.